Skip to main content

FANTAGIRL, I am the woman I am

#13 Interview with Cheryl Cole

Photography by Luce La Padula

Interview by Giustina Guerrieri

Cheryl wears Fantabody

Hello Cheryl, nice to meet you. Can you introduce yourself, talking about you, your life, your work and hobbies?

Hi, My name in Cheryl, aged 34 from the United Kingdom. I am a full time mother of two boys aged 12 and 4. I love being a mom, My children are my life, everything I do is for them.  I have a passion for cooking and physical activities such as the gym which helps me with my overall physical and mental health. Reading  has also become one of my favourite hobbies as it  helps me to stay focused. Alongside my motherly duties I am a diverse model and self love advocate. I like spend time encouraging others to love themselves and increase their confidence through campaigns, projects and photo shoots that I have been involved in. After suffering with confidence issues being able to change the lives of others though  my story is so important to me.  I have set up an organisation by delivering workshops to help young men and women with confidence and self love also helping  and encouraging them to change the mindset about how they think negatively about their own body imagine and learning to accept other people now many their differences.  

Can you talk me about your illness? 

I am born with CMN, Congenital Malenocytic Nevus, my condition is 1 born in every 500,000. They are dark pigmentations, different sizes and texture all over my body. They are usually harmless but there are risks of complications such as skin cancer, therefore I have regularly monitor and check for any changes to the mole like scabbings, bleeding and change in size or texture. 

What was it like living with illness, especially during the adolescence period?

For 23 years I suffered with confidence issues, low self esteem which had a major impact on my mental health. I felt depressed, low and disconnected from society.  I wasnt really educated on my condition as my mother unable to find out what it was till a later stage in my life. So, for many years I didn’t understand the reason why I was born they way I was and blamed the world. This started from when I was 11 but got worst from around 13. School was the worst, I hated it. I tried my very best to miss out on activities such as swimming and P.E because I didn’t want to show my legs. I used be called 101 dalmation, cookie, dot to dot and leaopard during my childhood  years. I used to be bullied and teased which made me into a horrible person with other people. Many used to stare and move away from me when sitting on a bus or not come to my till when I used to work in a fast food restaurant. There was time’s I’d sit in my room and harm myself by trying to scratch my moles off my legs and bang my head off the walls because of how much I hated being on this planet because at the time I felt liked I looked like an alien and Hated How others used to treat me. When I use to accidentally graze my legs or arms at school I’d always use to check if part of one of my moles used to come off and was disappointment when it didn’t. Imagine being in a world looking different from everyone one else and not meeting anyone with the same condition and thinking you are the only one in the world with this condition not knowing at the time its one of the most beautiful unique things about you. People use to come and tell me that I have this condition because my mom ate something bad when she was pregnant with me and used to scratch her pregnant belly all the time.  This CMN, effected my quality of life to the point were I would not do certain activities with my children and friends like swimming, girls holiday and spa days etc. 

Have you ever felt ashamed of showing your skin, or was there someone who made you feel inadequate? 

Once I was desperate  to wear a mini skirt and used to wear about 3 coffee colour tights to try make it look natural to my own complexion and I didn’t feel comfortable so I ended up wearing skirts with jet black tights. Summer was horrible in 30 degrees heat I couldn’t wear a nice summer dress and had to suffer in the heat wearing thick denim jeans. I made an effort to try and cover my face and skin with camouflage make up prescribed by my dermatologist. This made the my situation worse because with the make up on I was looking in the mirror actually wanting to be the person with clear skin but taking off the make up was reality, I was the girl with the black things on her face, the dalmation, the leopard and the cookie dough. I felt inadequate especially to boys because I thought I wasn’t beautiful enough to have a boyfriend and they wouldn’t accept my skin. When I started having relationships when I got older I was scared to show my legs during sex and didn’t make my boyfriend touch my legs or my back  because my moles are hairy. It took my a very long time to feel comfortable around him. 

How is the relationship with your body now? 

My life changed 3 years ago when I decided to start embracing who I am and started loving myself. I have been on my self love journey  and I couldn’t be more happier. I am more confident and feel comfortable in my own skin. I couldn’t continue to live the live I did. What examples am I showing to my boys living on a dark cloud by not accepting who I am. I am much stronger And no one can put me down to the point I start disliking my skin. Now when people stare I smile. When people ask me about my condition I can openly discuss it with them.  I did not no what being happy was until I learnt to embrace my imperfections. I fell free. I can be myself. 

You are a mother. As a woman, did you feel a change in the perception of your body and your femininity when you became a mother?  

When I became a mother I became more anxious and paranoid because I developed stretch marks and thought my skin is worse enough as it is with the moles and my boobs drooped more. I didn’t honour my body as a women and mother. Didn’t understand the importance and embracing me, and accepting my flaws. 

Is there any particular teaching you will pass on to your children for future? Maybe about diversity?

I am teaching my children, the best possible relationship you can have in this world is with yourself. Having a positive mind about yourself and your differences can only lead you to have a healthy life not just physically but also mentally. The negative opinion of others don’t matter, the only thing that matters is knowing who you are your Self worth. If you don’t love yourself you can’t show love to anyone else. 

How do you feel about posing for Luce in this shooting, also if this period is not the best for the Covid emergency?

I was so nervous not being able to do the shoot because the night before the government advised all bars and clubs to shut down  due to the Coronavirus and I was panicking thinking the motorways was going to be blocked etc lol and at the same time thinking about my health.  But luckily I made it before the actual official lockdown and we realize it with all the precautions. I feel that doing this project is brilliant and can help others that suffer with confidence issues and finding themselves. Luce was amazing  she made me feel welcome and comfortable. If you would have asked me 4 years ago would I ever do a photo shoot apart of Vogue Italia, I would have said never! Such an am amazing opportunity. 

FANTAGIRL

Fantagirl it’s a project devised by brand “Fantabody" founded by Carolina Amoretti in 2015 with the aim of setting nine synergies and interactions among women starting from their native land – Milan.

The photographic project was shot in collaboration with Giustina Guerrieri, a young artist working for the label who had always an interest in voicing real stories whilst exploring the boundaries of femininity.

An ode to the female body, regardless of its shape and skin colour. A research that promotes embracing diversity as a starting point for addressing topics such as disability, immigration and sex work, which are approached with an inclusive, curious and prejudice-free attitude.

Portrayed in her seductive uniqueness, every photographed subject has the opportunity to tell her story and reveal her nature with pride.

An all-female collaboration where the protagonists are photographed by the brand’s selected photographers and interviewed in the form of an intimate exchange of anecdotes and experiences.

Among the themes that are explored by the project is the desire to challenge the idea that seems to dictate that a woman affected by an illness or disability shall lose that healthy female vanity that is in every woman.

However, the project also seeks to focus on the choices of those women who use their body as a work instrument in order to understand how the relation with their intimacy changes. What makes Muslim women feel beautiful? And what is the relationship with their body for Oriental women? The desire to explore the culture, habits and traditions of countries outside the western influence will take the project on a worldwide research.

This is also one of the reasons why “I AM THE WOMAN I AM” sees the involvement of photographers from different nationalities and ethnic group so that they can fully express their artistic sensitivity on the basis of their cultural and social identity.

***

#13 Intervista a Cheryl Cole

Foto di Luce La Padula

Intervista a cura di Giustina Guerrieri

Cheryl indossa Fantabody

Ciao Cheryl, piacere di conoscerti. Puoi presentarti, parlare di te, della tua vita, del tuo lavoro e dei tuoi hobby?

Ciao, mi chiamo Cheryl, ho 34 anni e vengo dal Regno Unito. Sono una madre a tempo pieno di due ragazzi di 12 e 4 anni. Adoro essere mamma, i miei figli sono la mia vita, tutto ciò che faccio è per loro. Ho una passione per la cucina e l’attività fisica, in particolare la palestra, che mi aiuta a mantenere la mia salute fisica e mentale generale. La lettura è diventata anche uno dei miei hobby preferiti in quanto mi aiuta a rimanere concentrata. Accanto ai miei doveri materni sono una sostenitrice dell'amore per se stessi. Mi piace passare il tempo a incoraggiare gli altri ad amare se stessi e ad aumentare la loro fiducia attraverso campagne, progetti e servizi fotografici in cui sono stata coinvolta. Dopo aver sofferto di problemi di autostima, sono in grado di supportare gli altri per cambiare la loro vita. Ho creato un'organizzazione organizzando seminari per aiutare i giovani uomini e donne con fiducia e amore per se stessi, aiutandoli e incoraggiandoli a cambiare la mentalità su come la pensano negativamente sul proprio corpo, imparando ad accettare le altre persone al di là delle loro differenze.

Puoi parlarmi della tua malattia?  

Sono nata con CMN, Nevo malenocitico congenito, una persona su 500.000 nasce con la mia condizione. Sono pigmenti scuri, di diverse dimensioni e consistenza che si manifestano su tutto il mio corpo. Di solito sono innocui ma ci sono rischi di complicazioni come il cancro della pelle, quindi monitoro regolarmente  la situazione verificando eventuali cambiamenti come croste, sanguinamento e cambiamenti di dimensioni o consistenza. 

Com'è stato vivere con la malattia, specialmente durante il periodo dell'adolescenza?

Per 23 anni ho sofferto di problemi di fiducia, scarsa autostima che hanno avuto un grande impatto sulla mia salute mentale. Mi sentivo depressa, e disconnessa dalla società. Sia io che mia madre non eravamo davvero istruite sulla mia condizione. Quindi, per molti anni non ho capito il motivo per cui sono nata nel modo in cui ero nata e ho incolpato il mondo. Tutto è iniziato da quando avevo 11 anni, ma la situazione è peggiorata quando ne avevo circa 13. La scuola era il luogo peggiore, l'ho odiata davvero. Ho fatto del mio meglio per non frequentare attività come il nuoto e la P.E perché non volevo mostrare le gambe. Durante la mia infanzia, mi appellavano con nomignoli come ‘Carica del 101’, ‘cookie’, ‘punto per punto’ e ‘leopardo’. Ero vittima di bullismo e presa in giro, il che mi ha reso una persona orribile con altre persone. Molti erano soliti fissarmi e allontanarsi da me quando sedevano su un autobus o non venivano da me fino a quando non ho cominciato a lavorare in un fast food. C'è stato un tempo in cui mi sarei seduta nella mia stanza e mi sarei fatta del male provando a grattarmi le macchie dalle gambe e sbattere la testa sui muri a causa di quanto odiavo essere su questo pianeta perché mi sembrava di essere un alieno odiato da tutti, per come mi trattavano. Ero solita sfiorare accidentalmente le gambe o le braccia a scuola, per controllare se parte di una delle mie macchie si staccava ed era una delusione verificare che non accadeva. Immagina di essere in un mondo diverso da tutti gli altri e di non incontrare nessuno con le stesse condizioni e di pensare di essere l'unico al mondo con questa condizione senza sapere, a quel tempo, che era una delle cose più belle e uniche di te. La gente viene e mi dice che ho questa condizione perché mia madre ha mangiato qualcosa di brutto quando era incinta di me e si grattava sempre la pancia. Tutto ciò ha influito sulla mia qualità di vita al punto che ho pensato che non avrei mai fatto determinate attività con i miei figli e i miei amici come il nuoto, le vacanze delle ragazze, le giornate in spa, ecc.

Ti sei mai vergognato di mostrare la tua pelle o c'è stato qualcuno che ti ha fatto sentire inadeguato?

Indossare una minigonna era una vera disperazione, per cui ho provato ad indossarla vestendo circa 3 collant color caffè per provare a rendere l’effetto ‘naturale’ e a riprodurre la mia carnagione, ma l’effetto era un disastro, quindi ho finito per indossare le minigonne con i collant neri. D’estate è stato orribile con il caldo a 30 gradi, non potevo indossare un bel vestito estivo e ho dovuto soffrire il caldo indossando jeans spessi. Ho fatto uno sforzo per cercare di coprire il viso e la pelle con il trucco mimetico prescritto dal mio dermatologo. Questo peggiorò la mia situazione perché con il trucco mi guardavo allo specchio e vedevo la ragazza che avrei voluto essere, con una pelle uniforme, ma quando rimuovevo il makeup tornavo ad essere la ragazza con le cose nere sul viso, la dalmata , il leopardo e l'impasto per biscotti. Mi sono sentita inadeguata soprattutto con i ragazzi perché pensavo di non essere abbastanza bella da avere un ragazzo e che non avrebbero accettato la mia pelle. Quando sono cresciuta e ho iniziato ad avere relazioni, avevo paura di mostrare le gambe durante il sesso e ho fatto in modo che il mio ragazzo non mi toccasse le gambe o la schiena perché le mie macchie sono pelose. Mi ci è voluto molto tempo per sentirmi a mio agio con lui.

Com'è il rapporto con il tuo corpo adesso?  

La mia vita è cambiata 3 anni fa quando ho deciso di iniziare ad abbracciare chi sono e ho iniziato ad amare me stessa. Ho fatto un vero e proprio viaggio nel mio viaggio di amor proprio e non potrei essere più felice. Sono più fiduciosa e mi sento a mio agio nella mia pelle. Non potevo continuare a vivere come facevo, soprattutto per i miei ragazzi, che esempio avrei dato loro dimostrando di non accettarmi? Ora sono molto più forte e  nessuno può abbassarmi al punto da cominciare a non apprezzare la mia pelle. Ora quando le persone mi guardano sorrido. Quando le persone mi chiedono delle mie condizioni, posso discuterne apertamente con loro. Non ho capito cosa significasse essere felici finché non ho imparato ad abbracciare le mie imperfezioni. Mi sono liberata. Posso essere me stessa. 

Sei una madre. Come donna, hai sentito un cambiamento nella percezione del tuo corpo e della tua femminilità quando sei diventata madre?   

Quando sono diventata mamma sono diventata più ansiosa e paranoica perché ho sviluppato smagliature e ho pensato che la mia pelle fosse diventata ancora peggiore di quanto non fosse e insieme ad essa anche il mio seno si è rilassato. Ai tempi della maternità non ho onorato il mio corpo come donna e madre. Non ho capito l'importanza di abbracciare e accettare i miei difetti. 

C'è qualche insegnamento particolare che trasmetterai ai tuoi figli per il futuro? Magari sulla diversità? 

Sto insegnando ai miei figli che la migliore relazione che puoi avere in questo mondo è con te stesso. Avere una mente positiva su te stesso e le tue differenze non può che portarti ad avere una vita sana non solo fisicamente ma anche mentalmente. L'opinione negativa degli altri non importa, l'unica cosa che conta è il giudizio che tu hai di te. Se non ami te stesso, non puoi dare amore a nessun altro. 

Come ti sei sentita a posare per Luce in questo scatto, anche se questo periodo non è il migliore a causa dell'emergenza Covid?  

Ero molto preoccupata di non poter riuscire a scattare perché la notte prima il governo aveva consigliato a tutti i bar e i club di chiudere a causa del Coronavirus e mi ero fatta prendere dal panico pensando che le autostrade sarebbero state bloccate ecc. E allo stesso tempo pensavo  alla mia salute. Ma per fortuna ce l'abbiamo fatta prima dell'effettivo blocco ufficiale e abbiamo scattato  con tutte le dovute precauzioni. Sento che realizzare questo progetto è geniale e può aiutare gli altri che soffrono di problemi di autostima a ritrovarsi. Luce è stata fantastica, mi ha fatto sentire benvoluta e a mio agio. Se me lo avessi chiesto 4 anni fa avrei mai fatto un servizio fotografico per Vogue Italia, non avrei mai accettato! É stata un'opportunità straordinaria. 

FANTAGIRL

Fantagirl è un progetto ideato dal brand "Fantabody" fondato da Carolina Amoretti nel 2015 con l'intento di creare nove sinergie e interazioni tra le donne partendo dal suolo natale, Milano.

Il progetto fotografico è realizzato in collaborazione con Giustina Guerrieri, giovane contributor del marchio da sempre interessata a dar voce a storie reali, esplorando i confini della femminilità.

Un' ode al corpo femminile, in qualsiasi tipo di forma e colore esso possa presentarsi; una ricerca che incoraggia l'accettazione della "diversità" come punto di partenza per affrontare temi come la disabilità, l'immigrazione, le sex worker, raccontati con un approccio inclusivo, curioso e affascinato, privo di pregiudizio.

Ogni soggetto rappresentato nella sua seducente unicità ha l'occasione di raccontare la sua storia e rivelare la sua natura con orgoglio.

Una collaborazione tutta al femminile dove i soggetti in questione vengono coinvolti dalle fotografe selezionate dal brand e intervistate attraverso un intimo scambio di aneddoti ed esperienze vissute.

Tra le tematiche care al progetto, quella di smentire l'idea per cui una donna vittima di una malattia o affetta da disabilità debba perdere la sua componente di sana vanità femminile.

Ma il progetto vuole anche focalizzarsi sulle scelte delle donne il cui corpo diventa strumento di lavoro e capire come cambia il rapporto con la propria intimità.

Cosa fa sentire bella una donna di cultura islamica? E come vive il rapporto con il proprio corpo una donna orientale? Indagare sulla cultura, gli usi e costumi dei paesi lontani dal mondo occidentale è un esigenza che porterà il progetto a una ricerca worldwide.

Anche per questo motivo, “I AM THE WOMAN I AM” vede il coinvolgimento di fotografe appartenenti a diverse etnie, affinché possano esprimere la loro sensibilità artistica in toto, servendosi anche della propria matrice culturale e sociale.



from Articles https://ift.tt/3aQsm8i

Comments