Skip to main content

FANTAGIRL, I am the woman I am

#10 Interview with Trista McGovern

Photography by Trista McGovern

Interview by Giustina Guerrieri

Trista wears Fantabody

Hello Trista, nice to meet you and thank you so much for your attention. Do you want to speak to me about you, your life, your passions?

My name is Trista McGovern. I am a photographer, editor, artist, and writer based out of Minneapolis, MN. Lately I have been focused on promoting awareness and education about ableism - especially disability and sexuality. I have been using my personal life experiences as an example for people to learn from. Within my photographic work, I love photographing anything that is about humans being humans, especially vulnerably intimate portraits, body studies, social series, and lifestyle portraits. Outside of my passion for photography and social issues, I spend a lot of time with people I love and connecting with others. Building community and unlearning ingrained societal issues/systems has been a huge theme of my life this year. From a small Wisconsin town to getting my Bachelor of Fine Arts in photography up until now, I have always prioritized growth personally, creatively, interpersonally, and professionally. At 27 years old, I have reached a point of wanting to share my experiences with people and have been increasingly excited for all the future projects I am currently working on and planning to do too.

Do you want to talk about your illness? Are you born with it?

I was born with severe scoliosis and an underdeveloped left arm/radial dysplasia. I had multiple surgeries as a child to correct some of the curvatures, but have never had any internal issues or chronic illnesses. Eventually towards the end of high school, over a span of a couple years going into college, I was hospitalized multiple times for pneumonia. Each illness caused lasting scar tissue damage resulting in me having to use supplemental oxygen 24/7 permanently  due to having 10% lung capacity.

How it was convived with it? Was your difficult and physical limits also reasoned for psychological stress?

Since I have had major differences my whole life, it definitely caused anxiety as a child. Once I was put on oxygen 24/7, I had to manage other mental health struggles while managing new obstacles. Having to live a life of adversity has taught me important lessons though - such as patience, empathy, resilience, and determination. 

Have you ever been judged by people, especially when you were a teenager? And what is now your approach with others?

I often tell people how I am treated is just a much wider spectrum than most people. By looking extremely different than others, people are always going to be judgemental, rude, passively avoidant, and ableist - but there are also people who are the complete opposite. I’ve learned being so different somehow often removes the barrier between me and other people, which (depending on the type of person) can either make them react strongly negative from the shock, or it can create a very authentic and thoughtful space between myself and another. I use to have extreme anxiety as a child due to my hyper awareness of how others viewed and treated me, but as I got older I became more grounded within myself. With the various unique experiences I have had throughout, I have built up patience, empathy, and tolerance that all helped me manage negative social situations.

What is the relation with your body, now that you are adult?

Now that I am older, I’ve made friends with my body. I need to take care of it and care about it. There are so many things I get to do and see, and I’m so grateful for all the abilities my body has. My body has been through so much and gotten me so far. I’m confident and comfortable with myself as a whole. 

I imagine that you have faced a self-acceptance path. How difficult was it?

Self acceptance is never ending for me, because I feel like I’m peeling off the layers and redefining myself everyday. As I unlearn internalized ableism and stigmas around mental health, it seems like another thing pops up all the time that I have to tear apart and build on. It’s exciting to look back and see all the work I’ve done and how much I continually grow. At this point in time, I fully accept myself and still leave room for change too. 

Do you believe that exceeding certain difficulties in life will make you stronger? Which woman do you see in the mirror today?

Facing difficulties or adversities can cause a mixture of damage and strengthening for each person. The environment, support, and personality all will determine how each difficulty affects them. I am very grateful for the loving people that have influenced me one way or another throughout my life because I would not be who I am today without knowing them. To this day, creating meaningful connections with people is a major part of my everyday life - whether it be personally, creatively, professionally, or within activism. Although I think I was born with a pretty determined personality, I can still recognize the difference of having supportive and loving people in your life can make. I definitely think having unique difficulties in life made me grow up quickly and develop some qualities more intensely than others - for example, the qualities listed earlier, such as empathy and resiliency. Although I grew a thick skin at a young age, on the other side of that I had to unlearn a lot of things as I got older, such as being stubborn with my independence, defaulting to self-preservation, or layers of internalized ableism. Today I see myself as a mixture of holding on to the good qualities I have gained from my experiences as well as unlearning the ingrained negative lessons. Currently I am continuing to work on further embracing vulnerability, sensuality, creating boundaries, and having patience with myself while healing from trauma.

According to you, what is femininity and how you express your personal one?

Socially we are redefining what  femininity and masculinity mean, so femininity is hard to describe - especially when it varies for each gender, identity, and personality. For me personally, I embrace my identify as a femme woman. In my femininity, I see it as holding a duality of  strength within softness. Although I enjoy red lipstick, silky hair, and crop tops, femininity does not just pertain to styles or physical traits - I see it in resilience, patience, compassion, emotional intelligence, creativity, sensuality, and patient growth. 

Is there some advice that you want to give to all the people who are facing "difficult" situations with their body, or that simply the society perceives as different?

Finding confidence with yourself is a very personal path, but I know the best way for me to feel more self actualized was to continually challenge myself. In very little ways, I push my boundaries everyday. For example, I’ll wear the thing I think is too much, or I’ll communicate even when its scary, or I’ll show up to the social event even when I feel a little uncomfortable. I go to therapy to challenge my way of thinking and I try to only focus on myself. Bravery and authenticity have driven me to lose fears and find contentment with myself and my body. When it comes to others/society viewing you as different, I learned early on that the only people’s perspectives that matter are the people that are already in your life or open to being in it. I know who I am and what I have to offer, so strangers’ opinions have no weight on how I decide to live my life. I only have this one life, and I refuse to waste any of it on things I cannot change. It’s a lot harder to focus on the downfalls of life when I am too busy creating, connecting, traveling, and cultivating joy.

FANTAGIRL

Fantagirl it’s a project devised by brand “Fantabody" founded by Carolina Amoretti in 2015 with the aim of setting nine synergies and interactions among women starting from their native land – Milan.

The photographic project was shot in collaboration with Giustina Guerrieri, a young artist working for the label who had always an interest in voicing real stories whilst exploring the boundaries of femininity.

An ode to the female body, regardless of its shape and skin colour. A research that promotes embracing diversity as a starting point for addressing topics such as disability, immigration and sex work, which are approached with an inclusive, curious and prejudice-free attitude.

Portrayed in her seductive uniqueness, every photographed subject has the opportunity to tell her story and reveal her nature with pride.

An all-female collaboration where the protagonists are photographed by the brand’s selected photographers and interviewed in the form of an intimate exchange of anecdotes and experiences.

Among the themes that are explored by the project is the desire to challenge the idea that seems to dictate that a woman affected by an illness or disability shall lose that healthy female vanity that is in every woman.

However, the project also seeks to focus on the choices of those women who use their body as a work instrument in order to understand how the relation with their intimacy changes. What makes Muslim women feel beautiful? And what is the relationship with their body for Oriental women? The desire to explore the culture, habits and traditions of countries outside the western influence will take the project on a worldwide research.

This is also one of the reasons why “I AM THE WOMAN I AM” sees the involvement of photographers from different nationalities and ethnic group so that they can fully express their artistic sensitivity on the basis of their cultural and social identity.

***

#10 Intervista a Trista McGovern

Foto di Trista McGovern

Intervista a cura di Giustina Guerrieri

Trista McGovern indossa Fantabody

Ciao Trista, piacere di conoscerti e grazie mille per aver scelto di partecipare a questo progetto. Anzitutto ti chiedo di parlarmi un po' di te e della tua vita.

Mi chiamo Trista McGovern e sono una fotografa, editrice, artista e scrittrice con sede a Minneapolis,MN. Attualmente mi sto concentrando sull’educazione all’abilismo, in particolar modo legato alla disabilità e alla sessualità. Utilizzo le mie esperienze di vita personale come esempio da cui le persone possono trarre ispirazione o insegnamento. Per quanto riguarda la mia attività come fotografa, adoro fotografare gli esseri umani, focalizzandomi in particolar modo su ritratti intimi che testimoniano la vulnerabilità dell’essere umano, studi sul corpo, serie di gruppi sociali e stralci di vita quotidiana.

Al di là della mia passione per la fotografia e i miei supporti nel sociale, amo trascorrere il tempo libero con le persone che amo e con cui stabilisco delle connessioni. Cercare di costruire una “community”, sradicare convenzioni e convinzioni sociali sbagliate sono stati due temi forti della mia vita, soprattutto quest’anno. Da quando ho ottenuto il mio Bachelor of Fine Arts in fotografia in una piccola città del Winsconsin fino ad adesso, non ho mai smesso di incentivare la mia crescita personale, sia a livello umano, che creativo e professionale.

A 27 anni, ho raggiunto il punto di voler condividere le mie esperienze con il prossimo e sono sempre più entusiasta di tutti i progetti futuri a cui sto attualmente lavorando e che sto pianificando di realizzare.

Puoi parlarmi della tua malattia? É una cosa che ti porti dietro dalla nascita?

Sono nata con una grave scoliosi e displasia radiale del braccio sinistro sottosviluppata. Ho avuto più interventi chirurgici da bambina, per correggere alcune delle curvature, ma non ho mai avuto problemi interni o malattie croniche. Alla fine, verso la fine del liceo, nel giro di un paio d'anni al college, fui ricoverata più volte in ospedale per polmonite. Ogni malattia ha causato danni permanenti al tessuto cicatriziale che mi hanno costretto a utilizzare ossigeno supplementare 24 ore su 24, 7 giorni su 7, a causa della capacità polmonare del solo 10%.

Come è stato e com'è convivere con essa? Le tue difficoltà e i tuoi limiti fisici sono stati anche motivo di stress psicologico?

Sin da quando mi sono resa conto delle differenze tra me e gli altri, da bambina, ho maturato dentro di me un atteggiamento che mi ha portato senza dubbio a soffrire di lunghi periodi di ansia.

E anche successivamente, quando ho appreso che avrei dovuto ricorrere all’ossigeno supplementare tutti i giorni per tutta la vita, ho dovuto gestire altri momenti molto difficili per il mio benessere psicologico. Tuttavia dover vivere una vita di avversità mi ha soprattutto insegnato valori importanti, come la pazienza, l’empatia, la determinazione.

Ti sei mai sentita giudicata dalle persone, soprattutto durante la tua adolescenza? E qual è il tuo approccio con gli altri adesso?

Quando ti approcci a persone molto diverse tra loro, ti puoi imbattere in quelle giudicanti, maleducate e passivamente evitanti, ma anche in persone che sono l’esatto opposto. Nel corso degli anni ho imparato a rimuovere la barriera tra me e gli altri, e ciò, a seconda della persone, provoca sempre reazioni diverse, come shock o una connessione autentica e positiva.  Da bambina ho sofferto per la consapevolezza della percezione che avevano gli altri di me, ma crescendo sono diventata più radicata in me stessa. Ho sviluppato pazienza, empatia e tolleranza che mi hanno aiutato a gestire anche le relazioni sociali più difficili.

Qual è il rapporto con il tuo corpo ora che sei adulta?

Ora che sono più grande, ho stretto amicizia con il mio corpo. Devo occuparmene e preoccuparmene.

Ci sono così tante cose che posso fare e vedere, e sono grata per tutte le capacità che il mio corpo ha sviluppato, nonostante abbia attraversato molte difficoltà.

Il mio corpo fino ad ora mi ha portato lontano, e questo mi rende fiduciosa e a mio agio con me stessa, a tutto tondo.

Immagino che tu abbia dovuto affrontare un percorso di auto-accettazione durante il corso della tua vita; quanto è stato o quanto è difficile?

L'accettazione di sé non finisce mai per me, perché mi sento costantemente in costruzione. E’ un continuo processo di costruzione ed è eccitante guardare indietro e vedere tutto il lavoro che ho fatto e quanto continuo a crescere. A questo punto, accetto pienamente me stessa e continuo a lasciare spazio anche al cambiamento.

L'aver affrontato determinate difficoltà nella vita ti ha resa più forte. Che donna vedi allo specchio oggi?

Affrontare difficoltà o avversità può causare una miscela di danni e rafforzamento per ogni essere umano. Sono l'ambiente circostante, il supporto e la personalità a determinare in che modo ogni difficoltà ci influenza. 

Sono molto grata per le persone amorevoli che mi hanno ispirato in un modo o nell'altro per tutta la vita, perché non sarei quello che sono oggi se non le avessi conosciute.

Ad oggi, creare connessioni significative con le persone è una parte importante della mia vita quotidiana, sia essa personale, creativa, professionale o all'interno dell'attivismo.

Anche se penso di essere nata con una personalità piuttosto determinata, riconosco l’importanza di aver vicino delle persone che ti amano.  

Sicuramente, penso che avere convissuto con delle difficoltà importanti mi abbia fatto crescere rapidamente e sviluppare alcune qualità più intensamente di altre - ad esempio, le qualità elencate in precedenza,

come l'empatia e la resilienza. Anche se ho sviluppato una pelle spessa in giovane età, dall'altro lato ho dovuto disimparare molte cose crescendo, come a non essere eccessivamente testarda sulla mia indipendenza, l' inadempienza all'autoconservazione o residui di abilismo interiorizzato.

Ad oggi mi vedo come un misto tra l'aggrapparsi alle buone qualità che ho acquisito dalle mie esperienze e il disimparare radicate lezioni negative.

Attualmente sto continuando a lavorare su di me per abbracciare ulteriormente la mia vulnerabilità, la sensualità, e ad essere paziente con me stessa, circa il tempo che impiego per superare i miei traumi.

Cos'è per te la femminilità e come esprimi il tuo essere donna?

Socialmente stiamo ridefinendo il significato della femminilità e della mascolinità, quindi quello della femminilità è un concetto difficile da descrivere, specialmente quando varia per genere, identità e personalità.

Personalmente, quando penso al mio essere donna vedo una certa dualità, fatta di forza e di morbidezza. Anche se mi piacciono il rossetto rosso, i capelli setosi e i crop top, la femminilità non riguarda solo stili o tratti fisici,

ma la vedo nella volontà di migliorarsi, nella pazienza, compassione, intelligenza emotiva, creatività, sensualità e crescita interiore.

Ci sono dei consigli che senti di dare a tutte le persone che stanno attraversando delle situazioni difficili con il loro corpo, o che semplicemente la società percepisce come differenti?

Trovare fiducia in se stessi è un percorso molto personale, ma personalmente so che il modo migliore per sentirmi più auto-realizzata è mettermi continuamente alla prova. Attraverso le modalità più disparate, spingo i miei confini ogni giorno, indossando abiti che possano sembrare un po' “troppo”, esprimendo la mia opinione anche quando mi fa paura, presentarmi ad un evento sociale dove potrei sentirmi a disagio. Vado in terapia per sfidare il mio modo di pensare e cerco di concentrarmi solo su me stessa. Il coraggio e l'autenticità mi hanno spinto a perdere le paure e trovare appagamento con me stessa e il mio corpo. Quando si tratta di altri / società che ti vedono come diverso, ho imparato presto che le uniche prospettive che contano sono quelle delle persone che sono già  parte della tua vita o realmente intenzionate ad esserci. So chi sono e cosa ho da offrire, quindi le opinioni degli estranei non hanno peso su come decido di vivere la mia vita. Ho solo questa vita e mi rifiuto di sprecare energie in qualcosa che non posso cambiare. È molto più difficile concentrarsi sulle brutture della vita quando sei occupato a creare, empatizzare, viaggiare e a coltivare la gioia.

FANTAGIRL

Fantagirl è un progetto ideato dal brand "Fantabody" fondato da Carolina Amoretti nel 2015 con l'intento di creare nove sinergie e interazioni tra le donne partendo dal suolo natale, Milano.

Il progetto fotografico è realizzato in collaborazione con Giustina Guerrieri, giovane contributor del marchio da sempre interessata a dar voce a storie reali, esplorando i confini della femminilità.

Un' ode al corpo femminile, in qualsiasi tipo di forma e colore esso possa presentarsi; una ricerca che incoraggia l'accettazione della "diversità" come punto di partenza per affrontare temi come la disabilità, l'immigrazione, le sex worker, raccontati con un approccio inclusivo, curioso e affascinato, privo di pregiudizio.

Ogni soggetto rappresentato nella sua seducente unicità ha l'occasione di raccontare la sua storia e rivelare la sua natura con orgoglio.

Una collaborazione tutta al femminile dove i soggetti in questione vengono coinvolti dalle fotografe selezionate dal brand e intervistate attraverso un intimo scambio di aneddoti ed esperienze vissute.

Tra le tematiche care al progetto, quella di smentire l'idea per cui una donna vittima di una malattia o affetta da disabilità debba perdere la sua componente di sana vanità femminile.

Ma il progetto vuole anche focalizzarsi sulle scelte delle donne il cui corpo diventa strumento di lavoro e capire come cambia il rapporto con la propria intimità.

Cosa fa sentire bella una donna di cultura islamica? E come vive il rapporto con il proprio corpo una donna orientale? Indagare sulla cultura, gli usi e costumi dei paesi lontani dal mondo occidentale è un esigenza che porterà il progetto a una ricerca worldwide.

Anche per questo motivo, “I AM THE WOMAN I AM” vede il coinvolgimento di fotografe appartenenti a diverse etnie, affinché possano esprimere la loro sensibilità artistica in toto, servendosi anche della propria matrice culturale e sociale.



from Articles https://ift.tt/2ORYQWV

Comments